EMPLOYEE0IPFIX is available on the Nortel 5500 and 8600 switches.
(IP Flow Information EXport) An IETF standard protocol for logging IP packets as they "flow through" a router, switch or other networking device and reporting that information to network management and accounting systems.
To get the flow feature set-up we need to do two things. LANGuardian has to be set-up to accept IPFIX flow data and the switches need to be configured with the LANGuardian IP address. We would suggest monitoring servers and links to routers for starters. Problems with multicast/broadcast would be detected with this approach as well as been able to report on server and application usage.
On the LANGuardian you need to do the following.
1. From the GUI go to Administration – Configuration - Sensors - Add new sensor.
2. Ip address: The IP address of the switch where the ipfix will be sent from. Be sure to enter a VALID IP Address.
3. Description: This text string is a users description of the ipfix sensor.
A syntax check will be performed on the sensor settings and if an error is found a message is displayed. If the parameters are correct then the sensor will be restarted with the new configuration parameters in place. By default the listening UDP port is 9995.
EMPLOYEE0Here is an example of IPFIX Basic Configuration for Nortel ERS5500:
For this configuration example, we will configure the following:
• Enable IPFIX collecting on a standalone ERS5520 port 12 and 13
• Configure the IPFIX active-time to 30 seconds. This will allow viewing the IPFIX flows on port 12 for up to 30 seconds.
• Add an IPFIX collector which has an IP address of 172.30.30.20. We will leave the default setting of UDP dst-port 9995.
1. Enable IPFIX globally:
• 5520-24T-PWR(config)# ip ipfix enable
2. Enable IPFIX on a port 12:
• 5520-24T-PWR(config)#interface fastEthernet 12,13
• 5520-24T-PWR(config-if)#ip ipfix enable
To check the interface configuration, enter the following:
• 5520-24T-PWR(config)#show ip ipfix interface 12,13
3. Change the aging timeout to 30 seconds
• 5520-24T-PWR(config)#ip ipfix slot 1 aging-interval 30
To view the configuration, enter the following command:
• 5520-24T-PWR(config)#show ip ipfix slot 1