We got a great question from a customer last week. They emailed asking us, "I'm trying to look for certain users that have been streaming movies across the network over the last month".
You just need to run a web report with the resource filter
The following procedure describes the steps to start monitoring streaming traffic.
- Determine the video file formats to focus on - list of video file formats.
- Set up a streaming video report on LANGuardian.
- In the Web section, click on More >> and then click on Web :: Top Website Domains and resources breakdown.
- Enter the video file information that you gathered above e.g. .flv$|.avi$|.mov$|.mp4$|.mpg$|.wmv$|.swf$|.asf$|.3pg$ in the Resource (matches regexp) filter.
- Click View, and see where is it originating from and what systems are generating streaming traffic and the volume of traffic it is generating.
- When the report is displayed, click More Actions on the report menu bar and select Save Report
- Enter a name and description for the report, then click Save. The report will be listed in the Custom Reports section.
And, of course, please contact us any time if you have any questions about detecting streaming activity or indeed any other aspect of network monitoring with LANGuardian.
All archived Tips & Tricks can be found on the NetFort forum here.
The NetFort Support Team
Be the first to post a reply!