I'm sure you would all enjoy the holidays that little bit more if you knew that your work network was safe in your absence. One quick and easy way to achieve this peace of mind is to set up a few Custom Alerts that will notify you by email you if any strange activity occurs on your network over the Christmas/New Year's period.
Here is a quick guide to setting up these alerts that you can modify to meet your own needs.
- Log in to your LANGuardian system and click on the cog wheel on the top-right of your screen. Select Settings and move down to the 'Alerts, Reports' section.
- Select the 'Periodic Reports' option. Now on the next page you have the option to either add addresses to existing distribution lists or create your own list like I have done here (Custom). To customize this list you select the 'Report Wizard' option half way down the page.
- On this page you can pick and choose what you want to be included in the alerts Email. This will vary depending on your needs but some of the more popular reports are :
- Top domains
- Top users
- Bandwidth by user
- Systems Using an Excessive Amount of Bandwidth
- Files Deleted etc..
When you are finished adding the reports you want included then simply click on Save at the bottom of the screen.
- Now to test that your distribution list and report are setup correctly simply go back to your 'Periodic Reports' page and scroll to the bottom. There you can send a test Email to any of your distribution lists.
- Set how often you want to recieve these Emails on this page also using the dropdown menu beside your distribution list (hourly, daily, weekly).
So there you have it, you can sit back, enjoy your turkey and relax knowing your LANGuardian will inform you of any strange behaviour on your network.
And, of course, please contact us any time if you have any questions on this 'Tips & Tricks' article, or indeed any other aspect of network monitoring with LANGuardian.
Be the first to post a reply!